I am visiting churches in Northern Virginia (Washington D.C. area)to find and list churches that have bands. I won't rate them, but I will describe the service/event and what the band set-up was like. If you're shopping for a church and want good gospel,rock or acoustic based music, check out this blog!

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Church of the Spirit

Church of the Spirit (directly behind the WalMart and Kohl's in Kingstowne Town Center.)
Kingstowne Community Church
5775 Barclay Drive,
Kingstowne, VA 22315

Services:
Sunday- 9:00 am – Traditional Communion Service (featuring piano, flute and guitar)
11:00 am - House of Spirit Band

Service I attended: Sunday, 11:00, am

Congregation:
Mixed ages/races, Caucasian/Hispanic/Black, families, young adults, 30+, middle-aged

Overall Church: Meets in an office park complex near Kingstowne Center. Off-street parking. Small, really nice, diverse congregation. They describe themselves as “…a user friendly church for those who have not found a home in more traditional churches.” I was very comfortable, and I think church newbies would be, too. The songs were easy to learn praise and worship style.

Band set-up:
Bass, drums, electric and acoustic guitars, keys,trumpet.

Overall band: Wow! Fabulous musicianship. Professional and studio musicians – perhaps some volunteers as well (I wasn’t real clear on that - inquiring minds should ask.) Some of these guys are top-notch studio musicians - they are the best. Low-key and not showy, but GREAT music. Nice vocals. I chatted with one of the guitarists at the end, he let me play his Frankencaster (Danny Gatton-made, unbelievably-superb-pick-ups guitar.) Dang! Now I’m struggling with the sin of desire…

Would I go back? Yes. Good preaching, friendly and diverse congregation, non-showy fab musicians – I’m there!

Learn more: http://www.dovefromabove.org/
Email: cotsva@aol.com
Phone: 703-971-5242

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home