I am visiting churches in Northern Virginia (Washington D.C. area)to find and list churches that have bands. I won't rate them, but I will describe the service/event and what the band set-up was like. If you're shopping for a church and want good gospel,rock or acoustic based music, check out this blog!

Monday, May 10, 2004

Great D.C. area church bands

Howdy there-

Welcome to my blog about Washington, D.C. area church bands!

I've set a goal this year to visit 25 churches that have "contemporary music" in the Washington, D.C. area. So far I've visited mostly churches in Northern Virginia that feature the basic rock band set-up: electric guitars, bass and drums, and keys/piano. This blog will log my journeys and describe what I find. Churches will not be rated - it's not a contest! It's just a way to get folks thinking about going to church by telling about the musical happenings.

I will post my findings - how the band was set up, how many members the group had, how many songs they played, how the service was structured, size of church, ethnic makeup, musical styles, etc.

I've met lots of great players and singers so far and have heard NO bad bands. (Can anyone say that about bar bands? I didn't think so!)

If you've got a band at your church, invite me and I'll try to come! That's about it. God bless!

Chris Anderson

5 Comments:

Blogger Church Lady said...

McLean Bible Church, 8925 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA (West of Tysons Corner)

Services:
Saturday, 6:30 pm,
Sunday, 9:00 am, 10:45am, 12:30 pm
Frontline: Sunday; 5:30, 7:30 pm

When visited: Saturday night service, 6:30 pm

Congregation: Mixed ages, mostly Caucasian, mostly and 30+ middle-aged

Overall Church: Huge congregation and great new facility, with parking garage. Two campuses. Radio broadcasts. Mission of bringing the gospel to D.C. area rather than foreign countries.

Band set-up: Drums, synth, guitars, bass, lead & back-up, singers
Words projected onto screen, use of video

Overall band: No bad notes or look-at-me-showmanship here! The very competent band apparently rotates players; the night I heard them they were extremely professional, which is rumored to be the norm. The music was mainstream contemporary praise and worship in style. The service I attended seems to be geared towards 30+ baby boomers. Different styles of music apparently at different services designed to interest varying generations and worship styles.

Would I go back? Yes. It’s so big that I think assessing the music based on one service probably doesn’t do it justice. And Frontline, the Young Adult ministry is a whole different thing. There’s a lot of good music going on here!

Learn more: http://www.mcleanbible.org
http://www.frontline.to

Phone: 703-790-5590

7:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Church Lady, I came across your site while doing a search on Sexy Celebrities, popular female sigers, dancers, actresses and models. Though you don't have exactly what I was searching for it still provided quite an interested read. Thanks and keep up the good work!

1:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Church Lady has a great blog! I've been surfing around everywhere and just love to read all this stuff. I don't have a blog to contribute to but found a place where you can get a free target gift card. I think they are limiting it so you may wanna hurry on over. the site is Target Gift Card Keep up the great work, I love Blogger!!!

10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Church Lady,

As a result of reading your blog "this post", I think you will discover my site on Highest Wages In All States will be a great help.

To illustrate our diverse range of wages information, here are some of the latest search terms that located our site ...

Multi Media Artists Wages
Animators Wages
Music Directors Wages
Composers Wages
Musicians Wages
Singers Wages
Photographers Wages
Umpires & Referees Wages
Sports Officials Wages
Producers & Directors Wages.

We have over 200 "have to read" career and wages articles in addition to many other interesting subjects in our Wages For All Occupations site.

Best Regards
Emily

8:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Church Lady,
I was just passing looking for links on the blogger site and found your this post blog. Your blog was not quite what I was looking for, but I enjoyed my visit all the same.

11:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home